Scattered Clouds - The First Empire

There are really no sufficient words to describe the absolute rapture I attain while listening to this album.  It seems alchemical and sorcerous in it's ability to manipulate my senses.  I feel completely addicted and subjugated to the magic herein.  I haven't played a record this often back-to-back sense I discovered Yazoo (Yaz) in college.




The official video for Enchantress is cool, but I like this live video better.  I found there weren't a lot of images of the band and since they are Canadian I am not likely to see them live any time soon.  This rather rough video is a good surrogate for attending a show I think.  

Tracklist:
A1 Fallen 3:43
A2 Enchanteresse 4:29
A3 People Walk 4:00
B1 Floating Underwater 2:57
B2 Deepest Night 5:03
B3 The First Empire 7:14

A short album, leaving me with a hunger for more....did I mention my addiction?  Their bandcamp page has the album cheap in digital format.  You can also get an earlier cassette release, digitally, simply titled "EP"  with four songs at a "name your price" option.  My first impression of the EP was how incongruous and cacophonous, almost unpleasant, it was...and yet by the end I had to play it again...and the more I played it, the more I wanted to play it again.  


There is definitely some dark magic within Scattered Clouds music.  I like the description listed on bandcamp:
Scattered Clouds' sound is dark, experiential and post apocalyptic. It layers artificial enstasy with bouts of unsteady euphoria and romanticism. Brooding rhythms and precise noise from this experimental 3-piece underline film noir imagery and auto-fictional narratives.
I had to look up the word "enstasy":
The experiences, or abolition of experience, arising as a consequence of those meditational, etc., techniques which withdraw the practitioner from the world, and even from awareness of the self. The word was coined in contrast to ecstasy. (encyclopedia.com)
First Empire likely would have topped my best albums of 2015 list if I had discovered it in that year.
Now they exist in limbo as an album found too late for 2016 and not in time for 2015...somehow it is also very fitting.  I think if any band was going to soundtrack Purgatory it would be Scattered Clouds.

Check out their website, Facebook, and E-tron Records pages.

Comments