What's been spinning this week



I've been cleaning and listening to a bunch of Helen Reddy albums.  Yes, I love Helen Reddy.  It may seem out of place with some of my other song habits, but then again, maybe not.  She has an amazing voice and her songs have lots of darker moments and introspection.

 I was privileged to catch her in concert last year in Alma, Arkansas.  Not somewhere I expected to see her, but it was a really nice show.  Her voice is just as amazing now and she is so comfortable in front of an audience the performance felt very personal and intimate.

So a month or two back a friend and I were in Tulsa, Oklahoma crate digging and found many good deals at Gardner's Books and a couple of flea markets.  Some of the records required quite a bit of cleaning, but overall they are in good shape.  I picked up 7 Helen Reddy records, Janis Ian "Between the Lines", Bob Lind "Don't Be Concerned", Brimstone and Treacle Soundtrack (with Sting and The Police), Bobby Vinton "Sings Satin Pillows and Careless" and "A Very Merry Christmas", "Let My People Come Soundtrack (a 70s nudie musical), Gene Pitney & Melba Montgomery "Being Together", Soeur Sourire "The Singing Nun", The Sound of Music Soundtrack, Boduf Songs "Burnt Up On Re-Entry", Yes "Tormato", Yello "Oh Yeah", Elsa Lanchester "Bawdy Cockney Songs", Blancmange "Happy Families" and Sam Harris "Sam Harris" (the one record that was in such bad shape I had to discard it).

I've waded through everything except the Helen Reddy, mainly because they were the dirtiest overall, But I've been cleaning and listening as I type this and I've been happy to hear less noise than expected and no skipping!  So far anyway, still 3 more records to go.  It's a good Sunday morning project.


Comments