Piano Magic – Closure



How do you say goodbye to a friend that has been integral to your life for over a decade?  How do you thank them for sharing the most intimate, private parts of themselves and helping you discover more about yourself along the way?  This record feels like an unexpected breakup. It left me clinging to each track in desperation, vainly trying to keep my lover close and prevent them from leaving.



Disaffected was my first Piano Magic record.  It will never leave my heart as one of the best records in existence.  It introduced me to John Grant and The Czars as well as Piano Magic itself.  As I tracked down the older releases and bought the new ones as they were released, I found unexpected nuances in each recording.  Piano Magic was never static, never redundant, always innovative.

Closure is everything I have loved and will always love about Piano Magic.  Feelings of nostalgia, melancholy and introspection reverberate throughout.  It is familiar and progressive, comforting and disturbing.  I don't want to pick apart the record in an effort to reveal it's secrets and treasures.  I believe you need to experience any Piano Magic album as a whole, and Closure is the same.  It is a journey of self-exploration by a group that deeply understands the nature of humanity.



This quote from Frank Herbert's "Dune" seems an appropriate tribute to the end of a band that has touched my heart and enlightened my soul (just substitute the band for a Sandworm, that isn't weird is it?):
 Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.




Tracklist:
A1 Closure
A2 Landline
A3 Exile
A4 Let Me Introduce You
B1 Living For Other People
B2 You Never Stop Loving (The One That You Loved)
B3 Attention To Life
B4 I Left You Twice, Not Once

Comments