Half Moon Run - Dark Eyes


This isn't the first time I've posted about this Canadian band but I was in the mood for them this morning.  Honestly, when am I not in the mood for them - they are amazing.  I was so blown away by this album when I first came across it on bandcamp, thank you bandcamp for having the best site to discover new music.

Dark Eyes came out in 2012, but unfortunately I didn't discover it until 2015.  It was a few months before their second album Sun Leads Me On was released.  Luckily for me I was able to catch them on tour as well.  First I drove to Lawrence, KS and saw them at The Granada. I had to go alone as no one I knew, knew the band yet, but I made the 5 and a half hour drive and was grateful I was able to.  Then a few weeks later I got a notification they were playing in Tulsa, OK - a hour and a half drive!  Well I had to go to that one too and thankfully I did as that was where I got Dark Eyes on vinyl.  I thought both shows were great and had a very different feel to them.  The stage setups were a bit different based on size of stage I assume.  The Lawrence show felt much more intimate and really sucked me in; while the Tulsa show at The Majestic was a larger/younger crowd and were much more enthusiastic. 


I've never found the best words to describe the band.  There sound is their own amalgam of rock, blues, folk, western, experimental.....etc.  It all ends in excellent songwriting that really speaks to me personally somehow.  

They are currently working on a third album which I missed a live on instagram airing of some of the new material but hopefully there will be more soon.


Comments