17 Pygmies - Captured in Ice (an anomaly)


One of my favorite albums, I know, I have too many favorite albums, but really this one is special.  I love every track and find it a thought provoking and reassuring album.  Why is it an anomaly?

  • I usually like a bands first album best
  • I usually like most or all of a bands albums when I like one this much
  • I can't figure how they wrote and recorded 12 songs that are so amazing and never really repeated it
  • Lead vocals are shared by a female and a male singer - I like both equally which is unusual for me
  • There are instrumental tracks that are just as good as the tracks with vocals
I never know how to classify this band.  I ordered it through the SST catalog if I remember correctly - it was a punk-mostly mailorder catalog anyway.  I used to peruse them and order unknown albums based on covers and descriptions.  I think I ordered this one mainly because of the mausoleum cover image which made me think of Joy Division's Closer album cover.  

Listening to it the first time I was kind of gobsmacked.  I didn't know what to make of it - I thought in some regards it sounded like a kids record (not in a bad way).  It had a simplicity to it on many tracks but it also was rich in elements, diverse in sound and therefore complex too.  A Thousand Lights was my favorite track for a long time as it sounded most like something I might hear on college radio and it was the most attractive track to play for friends when introducing them to my new acquisition.

I would say this album is sandwiched between post-punk and synth-pop.  It has a grand melancholia running through it yet there is a brightness and hopeful outlook to it as well.  I think it is a unique and exquisite album that far too few know about.  

I know there are fans of 17 Pygmies that will probably dislike the fact that I kind of dismiss the rest of their catalog.  Sorry.  None of their albums are "bad" but none of them reached this standard.  I think this album was kismet on an epic scale.  17 Pygmies had a very loose and variable membership.   It was chance, luck, fate, karma, magic, and circumstance that brought everything together to make this record what it is.  I know this happens/happened a lot in regards to bands that had one or two records - or maybe just an EP or single even.  I think it is much rarer that a band pulls a rabbit like this out of their hat after a couple of previous releases and quite a number of following releases.  I for one am glad it exists and am thankful for all those involved in it's making.




Comments