StrangeJuice - Raising Cannibals (Reviewed)



Here are some of my favorite StrangeJuice songs (an incomplete list):

  • Leafblower from the Leafblower EP
  • We Are Bees and Let Me Paint Your Picture from the Jalapeno Sun EP
  • Metamorphosis from High Anxiety
  • Calling Luci from Sparrow
  • Eyes Of The Morning from The Sound of Prozac
  • Something Worthwhile from Domestic Bliss

These songs are eclectic, progressive, experimental and odd...but they convey a story, or a feeling there is a story, and emotion.  They speak to my heart in dream inducing ways.  They are why I love StrangeJuice and am always anxious for his next release.

I haven't added to my favorite songs since Leafblower.  Arctic Tundra and Patterns of Juvenile Delinquency just didn't "do it" for me.  So I was really counting on Raising Cannibals to "get back" to adding to my list.

Track 1 "Introduction" was just rude.

Track 2 "Big Jim Smoke" sounds like something Tom Waits might have done - or a track that could have been off StrangeJuice's "Brown Songs"  Weird seemingly just to be weird.

Track 3 "Hey You" is fun, kinda silly, funky and ultimately a good time.

Track 4 "Diet Pills" has a story and is one the most straightforward songs on the album.

Track 5 "Put The Television On" is a bit chaotic with competing vocal lines and guitars all layered in stereo effects that left me feeling discombobulated.

Track 6 "Lazy Sun" mellows things out with a rhythm and beat that got my toes tapping and my head bobbing.  A tinge of psychedelia and interesting instrument riffs brings this one into a happy place.  My favorite song on the album.

Track 7 "Home Shopping"  - I like it.  Made me think of Toni Basil a little bit but it is much more of a rocker than anything she did.  But I could see her dance choreography being used in a video for this song.



Track 8 "Walk Into The Light" is a bit ballad-like in the old fashioned bard-style - think Steeleye Span or Fairport Convention

Track 9 "After Party" - overall a good song that made no sense to me - LOL - very Prog Rock

Track 10 "Bonnies Dress" is a dreamscape / nightmarish song that continues the Prog Rock style

Track 11 "Surf's Up" is another weird one - maybe a tad B-52ish in feeling.  Ultimately it was just too weird for me.

Track 12 "The Forgetting Place" didn't really hit me - it is a pleasant album track.

Track 13 "Creatures Of The Night" is another odd just to be odd song.  Too much blatant "trying" to be strange - it didn't feel genuine.

Track 14 "Horses Eyes" is a lovely ballad that I feel would have been so much nicer with less "treatment" - I would have loved just a pure vocal with no layering - will I ever get that?

So overall a mixed bag but definitely his best album, IMO, since Leafblower. I found a lot to like, a little to love and nothing really to hate.  I can't say I appreciate a lot of the weirdness on this one - it just didn't feel authentic.  StrangeJuice has done a lot of different, unusual and even bizarre things before but they always felt authentic.  These "weird" tracks felt more like he was trying too hard - pushing too much. 

Thankfully whatever the production elements from Arctic Tundra that brought pain to my ears are gone.  These songs all have a great sound though I might have produced them differently, more organically.  I enjoyed this album and definitely suggest people check it out. 


Comments