Marlon Williams - Live at Auckland Town Hall (Overview)



I only got hooked on Marlon Williams within the last year or so.  I had and still have some catching up to do on his career.  I love his voice and I am enamored of his lyrics and composing.  Still I don't usually buy live albums.  I don't like Greatest Hits collections either.  I find live albums to generally be poorly recorded Greatest Hits collections with songs drawn out too long and too much audience noise.  Even bands I adore have live albums that sound worse than most of the bootleg records I've heard. 

Live at Auckland Town Hall is definitely an exception.  It is nicely recorded, gives just enough audience appreciation between tracks to remind you it is live.  The compositions are just enough different to make them interesting in their own right.  I am thankful that Wade at Block Street Records happened to play this while I was shopping last week.  It caught my attention and by the time the side had ended I had decided to get it.  I didn't know it was on pink vinyl until I opened it.  But I am very glad to have it and though I am still addicted to Make Way For Love I will fit this one in fairly frequently I believe.

Note: I really need some better speakers - listening at home on Polk bookshelf sized speakers hardly compared to the full sized loudspeakers Wade had.  I had to store mine when I moved after selling my house and by the time I went looking for them they are nowhere to be found.  I can't remember if I did something with them or not.  Now I'm stuck looking for vintage/refurbished speakers as everything new seems to be powered bookshelf or tower speakers aimed at computer or home theater playback rather than focused on music. 


Comments