Thinking about Madonna and a friend I miss


I had a friend that followed Madonna's career from the beginning until he passed away just a few months ago.  He thought every album had it's merits but he most liked her mid-career albums.  I had a very different opinion having fallen hard for her early records but felt she was "trying to hard" after this record, I'm BreathlessErotica and the rest left me nonplussed and blasé.  They weren't bad but they just weren't interesting.  I discovered Sophie Ellis-Bextor in 2001 and felt she was carrying on the path Madonna had abandoned.  Funnily enough in 2005 Madonna seemed to be copying Sophie's "Murder On The Dancefloor" with "Hung Up".  At least that's what I thought when I heard it for the first time. 

Anyway I was just thinking of him and my computer started playing this record and it all just kind of hit me.  Friends don't have to agree about everything or like the same things....they just need to like each other enough to support each other in what matters to each of them.  I dutifully listened to each new Madonna record and tried to find something to like.  It wasn't too difficult since I only had to do it in his company.  He did the same for me often enough with artists that I liked that he had no connection with. 

So this was just a bit of a ramble.  What do you love that you best friend does not?  How do you deal with it?

Comments